Saturday, June 8, 2013

Dear Dogbreath, wherein our hero takes time out of his busy duties to help people with life's problems


Dear Dogbreath,

My aunt, (who invites me to dinner frequently) is very insistent that I clean my plate in spite of the fact that I am allergic to peanuts and eggs, and frankly, anything with raisins in it reminds me of my salad days of living in a vermin infested apartment in Washington, DC.  What should I do?  - Picky Eater.

-

Dear Picky Eater:

It is kind of barbarous in general to monitor other people's food and inquire closely about what is or is not happening to it. If no one asked you whether you wanted this thing or that being served you, or whether it was to you liking, go ahead and reject it and to hell with the plate police. It's your body and you can put into it and refuse admission to anything you want.


In a social situation that involves eating, one should try to avoid confrontations regarding the particulars of food, of course. Hosts should accept that you don't want something and not extract from you a lengthy explanation of why, which might be embarassing for both the host and for you. After all, there are all kinds of reasons people don't eat things, from religious beliefs to food allergies or merely a lively imagination. And many people don't really want a lecture on gastroenterology while at the dinner table. 

PS.  If there is no other way out, surreptitiously feed it to the dog.  My brethren are always hovering about the dinner table and are usually delighted to get anything that falls. 

Love,

Dogbreath

***************************************************

Dear Dogbreath,

I work at home and see no reason to waste the earth's energy and water resources by taking a shower more than once a week.  It saves time, soap dries my skin, and the drains get clogged up with my hair and scum.  If everyone did as I did, no one would mind, and the world would be a better place with more potable water and a sustainable environment.   

Signed:    All Natural.


Dear All Natural: 

You go first.  I'll wait upwind and see how this works out for you.

Love,  

Dogbreath 

No comments:

Post a Comment